Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, there’s been a significant shift in communication behaviors, methods, and general comfort using technology. Due to a sudden reliance on technology, there has been greater access to and utilization of video-conferencing communication platforms. It has become easier than ever before to communicate with doctors, therapists, and caregivers consistently. Due to typical barriers many people face seeking out autism treatment for their children, the benefits of telehealth autism treatment for some families are hard to deny. For more information on how to access online autism treatments, contact EMIT Therapeutics at 844.983.0240.
How Does Telehealth Autism Treatment Differ from In-person Autism Treatment?
Due to the new health concerns and shifting attitudes resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, information technology is more accessible to connect individuals, therapists, and doctors. Sometimes called telemedicine, telehealth uses streaming communication technology and video-conferencing. As a result, individuals can regularly connect with their healthcare providers without having to leave the house.
Telehealth treatment itself is not a distinct approach to treating children with autism but rather a method of delivering autism care. Telehealth for autism utilizes the same approaches as traditional in-person autism treatment, but remotely. Parents and children can use our telehealth services and expect to receive the same level of care that they would with regular treatment. Telehealth autism treatment can tackle issues that in-person autism treatment does not, including long waiting lists to receive treatment, geographic barriers, and scheduling flexibility issues.
To access the benefits of telehealth autism treatment, families will need access to the technology that allows them to participate in an online platform such as Facetime, Zoom, or Skype. These online platforms utilize video conferencing software that allows for the most effective communication possible while patients and their caregivers continue to social distance.
Children can receive remote care while benefiting from the visual cues given by their autism treatment provider. Parents and caregivers can also utilize remote video-conferencing applications to continue receiving the education, training, and support for parenting a child with autism. A few things you will need to benefit from telehealth conferencing for autism are:
- Access to a reliable internet connection.
- Access to technology to conduct video conferencing such as a working desktop computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
- A quiet, distraction-free space in the home to receive your autism treatment and training
Benefits of Online Autism Treatment
The primary benefit of using online telehealth for autism is eliminating any obstacles patients face in regular in-person treatment. Increased access to telehealth options has opened the door for more families to receive quality autism care, improving their child’s communication and life skills and learning to manage their condition effectively. Some other benefits to telehealth for autism include:
- Increased support for your child- Many providers can now offer more hours to families remotely than they could easily do in person.
- Access to communication- Many of the previous barriers to communication are no longer an issue with remote autism treatment. When a long drive and appointment isn’t a requirement to talk to your autism treatment provider, there are more opportunities to reach out and communicate your concerns.
- Flexibility in scheduling- Remote telehealth opens up more time and availability than in-person treatment does, which makes it easier for you and your family to create a schedule that works best.
- Improved patient outcomes and satisfaction- Patients often report greater satisfaction with their remote autism treatment because of the flexibility and comfort it offers them and their child with autism.
- Access to the same proven autism therapy methods that a child receives in an in-person treatment setting- Standard treatments can further develop and solidify communication and social skills already set in motion.
Contact EMIT Therapeutics Today to Learn More
Telehealth treatment for autism has numerous benefits and can conquer the challenges presented by limited access to care. It also provides families with improved flexibility to get treatment when they need it. Call EMIT Therapeutics today at 844.983.0240 for more detailed information about the telehealth treatment plan for autism that is right for you and your family.